Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Masterpiece: Mystery Schedule

It seems that PBS has changed the name of Mystery! to Masterpiece: Mystery! in order to fit in with their other new names (Masterpiece: Classic and Masterpiece: Contemporary). But, more excitingly, they have posted their schedule for the summer. It includes:

Foyle's War: Series V: Yay yay yay yay yay! This series about a police detective on the southern coast of England during World War II is probably my very favorite British TV mystery series ever.

Lewis: Series I: This is a spinoff of the popular Morse series. I've never seen Morse (it's in my Netflix queue), but I liked the pilot of Lewis they showed last year, so I'll be giving this a try.

The Inspector Lynley Mysteries: Series VII: These are based on the popular Lynley series by Elizabeth George, although I think the episodes they're producing now are not actually based on the books. I love the books, but I'm way behind - I've only read the first three. And only seen one of the adaptations. I wonder if I could catch up by the time these air?

The Shadow in the North: For some reason, this isn't on the schedule page, but it's on the main Masterpiece page so I'm assuming it will be aired. This is the second mystery featuring Sally Lockhart, a Victorian teen detective. I loved these books as a teenager. I'll have to watch the first adaptation (The Ruby in the Smoke) soon in preparation for this.


All in all, looks like a great season! Any opinions? What are you looking forward to?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe these are the final episodes of Lynley. Very sad, as I really enjoy the interaction between him and Havers.

And I'm in the same boat as you with regard to the Lewis series. I'm optimistic about its future.

Stephen D. Grinch said...

I'm a Morse fan from way back when so I am very anxious to see Lewis. There have been two seasons shown in Britan so I'm guessing it's a pretty good series. Kat, I think you'll enjoy Inspector Morse simply because of the classical music that runs throught the episodes. I remember watching "The Dead of Jericho" while studying music theory and cringing when Morse stops at a piano and plays the Tristan chord.